Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Day 1

As soon as I decide to work on improving one area in my life I immediately notice that I am given ample opportunities to become better. I consistently find a million examples of people around me that already excel in this area and I am inspired to press forward. This was the first day of my full month of Service and I have again been humbled as so many opportunities were placed in my path within the past 24 hours. Again please don't think that I am in any way bragging or asking for praise, I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve and I truly love doing it with all my heart.

Yesterday it was brought to my attention that a friend was in need of some help. She needed to move and only had a few hours to do so. I immediately made a few calls and within one hour we had a house full of people willing to sacrifice their night to help a person that some of them didn't even know. There wasn't any hesitation or complaining but instead there was laughter and great conversations and memories I hope I will always remember. These people inspired me to be better, to be more willing to reach out, to have a better attitude! (Thank-you everyone!)

Items of Service for Day 1!

1. Today for the first day I decided that I would again reach out to this friend and make sure she was settling into her new place. After a few phone calls, a little re-organization and a great visit she was finally getting everything together and the chaos from the previous night had settled down. I went to help her today because I wanted to not because I wanted something. Her concern..."What can I ever do to re-pay you guys for helping?" I again realized that this is what it really is all about. Thanks for the opportunity to Serve!

 2. After finding out a friend was sick I checked up on her and asked if there was anything she needed and do you know what she said?.... She said "Yes!" I was so excited. I was so happy that she was willing to allow me to help her (sometimes allowing others to help us is the hardest part.) This task was as simple as picking up some soup and dropping it off but I am so grateful for the experience. Thanks for the opportunity to Serve!

I think it is also important to focus on the millions of things people have done for me and give them some recognition...

1. Today I needed to pick up a few items at the store for work, I wasn't sure when I would have the time and before I could even think about it again I returned to my desk to find the items already purchased and ready to go. Such a simple thing that meant the world to me. Thank-you Sheri, Corey and Trent for serving me today!

2. After Whitney realized she had a flat tire she tried to contact her husband to come help but he wasn't available at the time.  She came in to grab the keys to my car so she could make it to her appointment, Jeff overheard the conversation and didn't even hesitate to jump in and help. He had the tire changed before she returned. Thanks for being such a great example Jeff!

3. After another long day I finally made it home when my phone rang. "Jenny, have you had dinner? I am on my way to get you, we are going to get some dinner." This was exactly what I needed to wrap up the day and I am so grateful.  Brad thanks for dinner, great conversation, and a ride in your car. You're pretty legit!

No comments:

Post a Comment