Tuesday, November 13, 2012

5...4..3..2..Shotgun!

For the past several years the Behrend girls have been getting together to run/walk in the St Luke's Women's Fitness Celebration and this year wasn't any different. One of my favorite memories of this walk is when my Grandma Behrend came with us, I loved spending that time with her and miss her more every year. My Mom decided to registered a team (Sarah, Kam, Whitney, Myself and Mom) this year and we decided to make it a girls weekend in Boise. I was already in Boise because of the BSU game so Mom, Kam and Sarah met me for lunch and then we headed downtown to pick up our race packets and shirts. (A few years back Cody and I had the privilege of running into Jared - The Subway Guy at this same event, unfortunately there wasn't anyone famous this year.)  After browsing through the different vendor's booths we gathered our stuff and went to pick Whitney up from work.  From here we headed shopping and then we called it a night. The next morning we woke up bright and early and headed to the starting line.

The Girls. (Kam, Sarah, Mom, Me, Whitney)



There were people everywhere, the number never ceases to amaze me.

The groups of people!



Photo-bombing my Mom's group shot. 


We waited for them to send off the first few waives and then it was our turn 5..4..3..2..the shotgun sounds and I am hot out of the gate - well at least as soon as I can get past the crowds.  My adrenaline is rushing and I am running fast.  It doesn't take me long to realize that I won't be able to keep up with this speed if I want to finish the full 5K so I slow down a little and try to keep a solid pace.  (Harder then it seems.) Kam took the lead and finished strong, I was so excited to see the finish line and I pushed hard to run to the end.

Kam, towards the back running strong!

Go Kam!


We waited a short time for everyone to join us then we gathered at Ann Morrison park grabbed some snacks and rested for a bit.  We then headed back to the hotel to shower and clean up then we headed to one of my favorite restaurants...Thai Paradise (Best thai food I have had) My Mom was against this but finally promised to give it a try.  She wasn't the biggest fan but I thank her for being a good sport.

Pad Thai from my favorite Thai Restaurant
We then took in a little more shopping and caught a movie then I crashed.  The next morning Whitney and I got up at bright and early (4:30 am) and we headed back so I could catch some early morning meetings. What a fun filled couple of days with some of my favorite people. I look forward to next year and hope that I can run in the competitive waive, watch out girls I am running faster everyday!

Here are a few pics from the day:

My and Mom

Whitney, so excited to run!

Cheese! (Whitney and Kam)

Sarah can't wait to get started. 

Kam striking a pose!

This one wasn't exactly on my list but it does relate to getting healthy! Now I just have to keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment